09 July 2008

Life goes on

It's been a tough couple of days for me. My family put Kacie to sleep on Monday evening and even though I'm not there, I still feel some emptiness (and lots of sadness). Losing a pet is one of the worst things ever. (Brendon usually makes fun of me for talking in absolutes but this time I really mean it.)

I don't have anything specific to blog about but because I've been feeling sad, I wanted to write as it makes me feel closer to all of you who read this. Thank you, by the way. I miss you, each and every one of you and can't wait to see you when I get home.

The weather here has been AWFUL for the past week or so. Yes, I know it's winter but enough already. It's been raining and windy and just generally dreary. It's not like rain you've ever seen before - it is truly torrential. It's so weird to think that many of you are hanging out in flip-flops (which they call slip slops here) and tank tops and enjoying the beach. I will be the only one in DC who won't complain about the sticky weather that will last through October - I am waiting for it.

We have a new intern at work. He is a graduate student in the International Peace Studies Program at Notre Dame but is originally from Liberia. He's awesome - is incredibly bright and friendly. Not to mention the fact that he's about as qualified as you can get to work at CSVR being that he worked on the Liberia Truth Commission. Ridiculous. It's been a busy few days so we haven't had too much time to chat but I'm looking forward to getting to know him.

Work continues to go well. Next week is our big meeting with members of the Pardons Reference Group. We're actually meeting at Parliament (sweet!) so I'm psyched. I've been continuing to review journal article which I'm actually enjoying. Maybe it's the fact that they're not listed on a syllabus under required reading. I've started to write an article which I hope to get published sometime this year. I've also stared a new project updating and adding to our office's video/DVD database of TJ related material. If anyone has any suggestions, please send them my way. More and more projects keep popping up each day and it's a wonderful feeling to actually be excited to go into work (despite the monsoon-like conditions that make me dread my morning walk).

Other news...

My boss is going away on vacation here for almost 3 weeks and I and 2 friends will be housesitting/pet sitting for him. His house is walking distance from work and is going to be wonderful. No more moldy walls or roommates that cook endless amounts of rice and then when they are unable to find a storage container (despite being on sale for R5 at the grocery store a 3 minute walk from our house) takes the leftovers to work IN A FLOWER VASE. (Don't even get me started. I may never stop.) My boss's house has a woodburning stove, a menagerie of animals, a fully equipped (and clean) kitchen, and plenty of books, games, and 2 huge couches (I'll be happy to take a break from our common area that consists of patio furniture in the entryway.)

I only have about a month left at my internship. I try not to get spazzy as I think about how much more I want to get done before I leave. I suppose this, like so many other things, will inevitably feel unfinished. But that's what the job hunt is for, right?...

No comments: