I have arrived.
One long flight to Jo'burg + another plane ride to Cape Town after navigating through the confusing JHB airport + one cab ride + after small mishap with incorrect keys subsequently remedied by housemates coming home AND landlord driving here with correct keys = one weary traveler, indeed.
Despite a hectic 48 hours, I made it to South Africa in one piece (and with all my luggage, mind you, an impressive feat on this continent). After so much planning and excitement, it's hard to believe that I'm FINALLY here. But here I sit, in my room in my quaint little house in Observatory (Obs, to those in the know) trying not to fall asleep. And yes, it's 6 hours AHEAD here but I'm one tired cookie.
I ventured out with my Dutch housemate and his South African girlfriend to the nearby grocery store for some basics. This turned out to be a bit of an overwhelming task as I have trouble planning meals for myself even in the District. Now factor in prices that appear to be 7x what I'm used to. I walked away with pasta, fish, bottled water, frozen veggies, and tea and cookies. I promise I will properly nourish myself once I get my bearings.
Speaking of which, the real routine will begin tomorrow. I start work at 11 am (thanks to a kind boss who understands jet lag) which is amazingly located just a 10 minute walk from my house (aren't I a super planner?). I haven't worked full time in over year so needless to say, just getting through a regular work day will be part of the challenge. But I'm finally doing what I've been working toward for so long.
And away she goes! Stay tuned...
(P.S. Pictures coming soon.)
01 June 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment